Some people, as well big brands just don’t understand how Social Media works. If social media was a game, there would be certain rules to follow to be successful. The social media rulebook can help you or your brand become successful in this game of social networking.
The Social Media Rulebook
1. Social Media is a 24/7 thing, not a 9-5 thing.
2. Talk on social media as if you were talking to someone in person.
3. Do not talk down to people.
4. Social Media should be an add-on to your current marketing efforts, not a stand alone operation.
5. The more you talk about/market yourself, the more your audience will tune you out.
6. Be original, and clever.
7. If you only respond to negative criticisms, that’s all people will send you.
8. Visual content will beat textual content most of the time.
9. People want to talk to YOU, not your brand.
10. Your fans/followers are define your brand.
11. Make it habit to fix problems with people who have issues with you or your brand.
12. You’re going to make mistakes – and that’s okay!
13. Keep your website updated, and mobile friendly.
14. People value their privacy, respect it.
15. Always credit your sources, and make sure your sources are credible.
16. Today you can be popular for just about anything, find your niche.
17. Create a social media crisis plan.
18. Stay up to date with the latest social media networks, and features.
19. Your fans and followers are the best tools for social media marketing.
20. There is no “right way” to use social media, just positive practices and guidelines.